Monday, May 26, 2008

Pets – Enriching Our Lives Beyond Measure

Sharing our lives with our four-footed companions as well as other pets teach kindness and compassion to us all, and especially our children.

We’ve shared our lives with numerous animals through the years, and as I’ve watched my son grow, I know his kind and considerate nature is due in large part to the pets we’ve enjoyed. Not only do our pets exude warmth and unconditional love, but they take us out of ourselves with a soft nudge for attention, or a happy bark inviting us to play Frisbee out in the fresh air.

I remember as a child waking up to a tiny black puppy licking my face. My parents had purchased a small, mixed breed dog for my sister and I and we adored him with all our hearts. He was so car sick during the ride home, combined with his various other quirks, that my Mom had said, “My goodness, you seem to be a bundle of ‘Troubles.’” The name stuck and his nickname soon became “Trubby.” My Dad called him the best shortstop he’d ever seen because he could catch the line drives my father threw against the low rock wall with ease – no matter how fast and furious they came in his direction. As with any family, we had our share of emotional turmoil. It was Trubby’s loving and affectionate nature that helped to smooth over the jagged edges of my childhood.

Our pets can speed our healing physically as well as emotionally. Just the other day, when I’d come down with the flu, my Australian shepherd named Jesse stayed on or near my bedside, waiting patiently for me to recover. Just having his warm, soft fur alongside me seemed to ease my discomfort.

There have been many a time when life’s harsh realities have impinged on the otherwise peaceful atmosphere in our home. But through our animal companions’ steadfast love and devotion, we’ve been guided to a peaceful resolution.

Our lives are immeasurably enriched by our animal companions. Could it be they’re really angels in disguise?

ฉ Connie Bowen

Note: this article may be re-published freely as long as the following resource box is included at the end of the article and as long as you link to the URL mentioned in the resource box:

Pet Portrait Artist, and Professional Illustrator Connie Bowen creates stunning pet portrait paintings on canvas from photos. Specializing in capturing the spiritual nature of dogs, cats, horses and other animals in a realistic fashion with impressionistic backgrounds as seen on Oregon Public Broadcasting’s TV show, Art Beat. Over 200 pet portraits completed and counting! Visit http://www.conniebowen.com to view exquisite samples.

No comments: